Tuesday, June 16, 2009

There may only be a few of us... but we're not alone

Well I’ve said goodbye to a few of my favourites in the last week (bananas, chickpeas, rice, oranges, mangoes) as they’ve dwindled and my commitment to only buying local has taken place. I’ve begun to ration my Earth Balance, agave syrup and remaining Van’s waffles as I realize just what a void will remain after the last few foreigners have been consumed. Sigh

After attending a talk on the 100 Mile Diet at the Clay and Glass Museum in Waterloo last night this exciting challenge as a vegan has me wondering if this is a challenge or a death sentence. This isn’t a reflection of the supportive and educated people in the community willing to help but a potential absence of efficient sources of protein I may be at a loss to find.

On the plus: 100 Mile picnics and potlucks OH MY! I am looking forward to the days of meeting in the great outdoors with other likeminded individuals surrounded by the bounty of our land….or a variation of the same foods that are in season. Either way I’m not alone and I welcome anyone who is reading this and wants to get together to share food/recipes/a day in the sun to send me a msg.

Today I will be compiling a list of the finds I’ve made so far on this mission and am open to hearing suggestions and finds of your own as I go loco in 17 days.

Please hug a tree today

1 comment: