Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tempeh, Home Fries and a Sigh of Relief

Yesterday began with a nervous venture into the city after finishing off the last of my grains and a fear I might return empty handed. Success was found at Eating Well Organically where I found the following:

Local applesauce (can be used as an alternative to eggs in baking)
Flour ( I’m a bread maker now don’t you know!)
Oats/Dried Apple/Rasin mix (Mmmmmm homemade granola)
Rhubarb (still could eat that stuff for dessert at every meal)
Potatoes (see excited success story to follow)
Henry’s Tempeh (after contacting Henry I’ve secured a high protein local soy source! WOOT!)

I left with an extra skip in my step and smiled the whole way home in the rain not realizing just how much anxiety I had been carrying. I suddenly felt the deepest empathy for people around the world who wake each day to secure this goal. Day in and day out, the aching of raw innards constantly nagging as the pressure of making it to the next day just to do it all over again. I’ve read it time and time again, “over 900 million people worldwide” are hungry in this very moment! And these people aren’t just hopping on a bus and walking into their local market, they are walking miles upon miles having been starving for days. Even with new found limits to my consumption I am still among the wealthiest….the mere fact that I have the choice to make a decision like this speaks of my blessings.

I hope you will take the time to reflect somewhat on the above and would love to hear your own personal connections/realization you also make along the way.

After getting home and feeling the satisfaction of putting something on my almost bare (still a 2kg tub of PB I’m working through) shelf I was craving grains and starches like no other! I diced up some fresh potatoes and tossed them around with the luxury of leftover olive oil, rainbow peppers and onions and accompanied them with my new bestie asparagus. I wish I could give a potato to the world ☺ Afterwards I tossed my oats/dried fruit mix in with some heated maple syrup and applesauce and made me some good old fashion granola!

Life as a local is going to be rewarding! 15 Days and I’m full time ☺

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna!
    All the best as you kick off the challenge tomorrow! I've enjoyed reading your blog and it's inspired me to commit. I was hesitant at first, because I am vegan as well, but I know that we can do it! It would be great to connect with you- perhaps we can exchange recipes, or meet up to make some food sometime! My e-mail address is samill@hotmail.com. Congratulations and see you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete