Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Rules

With every challenge comes the little voice in your head that says "well...if I just..." or "It doesn't count if...". So, in order to keep myself in check I've outlined the following rules to keep me in line along the way. 
  • 100 miles everywhere: 100 miles from wherever I am. This means if I travel to another city for a prolonged period of time (a weekend) I will do my best to eat within 100 of wherever that is.
  • No 'coincidental' trips: I cannot travel to another city for the purpose of being able to purchase food that is at a 100 mile distance from the new location. A weekend in in Mexico for bananas and mangoes not allowed.
  • Keep it vegan: I must remain vegan for the entire duration unless death/loss of sight/hearing/mobility occurs.
  • No eating out: No meals at restaurants unless they provide 100 mile options/deeply committed to finding local ingredients OR
  • Exceptional circumstances: such as conferences/grandma's attempt at making me something vegan
  • The leftover rule: Items that have been purchased pre-100 mile diet may be used but only for seasoning/cooking purposes. Yes: salt, sugar, olive oil No: rice, non-local pasta/bread, frozen veggies from U.S. Running out the July 3rd to stalk up on the yes' is not allowed. 
Let the game begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment