Thursday, June 11, 2009

Asparagus Pie?

I can’t say these last few days have greeted me with the normal optimism as moments of  “can I really do this?” have been taking over my usual “Whoo hoo life is full of opportunities and wonderful new things to enjoy” space in my head. I realize now that my cornucopia of foods has become sparse and that the only ‘new’ I’ll see is when the seasons begin to change.

I know that creativity will have its place in trying to construct as many alternatives to using asparagus and rhubarb (asparagus pie? rhubarb stew?) in these next few weeks but my main concern has become one of whether or not I’ll get all of the requirements to keep my body healthy and functional. I have always promised myself that regardless of the right I’m trying to wrong or the sacrifice I choose to make for someone/something else I’ll never do it at the cost of my health. But here I am wondering….. can a vegan really go completely local? Maybe it is just that I have relied for so long on the bounty of the tropics and Mediterranean that I can’t see past the big empty spot on my plate where they used to come together and fulfill all of my daily requirements in one nice little package.

Essential Fatty Acids? Pro-biotics? B12? Iodine (since salt is out and I haven’t seen Ontario seaweed….ever)? Are vitamins/supplements acceptable if there is no other alternative? Am I still living local? ( I would love your comments/feedback)

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in these last few years from being conscious of what I eat it is that you can never underestimate just what Mother Nature has packed away in the most seemingly shy of foods. *smile* Just the mention of her name and I feel refueled to let the hunt resume! 

21 Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment