Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hope not to disappoint anyone

I have decided that posting the following conversation can best summarize my current local state :)

Self: What is UP with how tired and moody you've been?
Self: Seriously! I have been meaning to talk to you about this. You are draggin' girl!
Self: School?
Self: Nope
Self: Lack of sleep?
Self: Nope
Self: Rain drops?
Self: Please, do you know who you are talking to? Check yo' diet!

Really, this conversation went on for a good couple of days. After analyzing my food log for the past month (really has it been a month?!) and wondering just how it is a girl can survive on such low amounts of protein I've changed up the challenge to accommodate for survival:

Keep:
1) 100% local fruits
2) 100% local vegetables
3) 100% local wheat/flour grains

Add:
1) Protein dense vegan substitutes (this includes all of those fun veggie meat & dairy alternatives)

Since the majority of my diet is fruits,veggies and grains the protein substitutes should only make up on average 20% of my daily food intake leaving me 80% local for the remainder of the challenge.

I hope this new rework of my challenge has not discouraged or found disappointment in anyone. If there are any vegans out there that have been able to master the protein challenge and still live an active lifestyle please let me know!

P.s. I want to thank Henry's Tempeh (local tempeh), you have been my protein lifeline up until now.


4 comments:

  1. jenna do what is best for you! your still doing great, but i think we can all agree a happy smiling jennais MUCH better than any alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd highly suggest reading some good vegan diet books by RD's and/or the link below by MD John McDougall. You can't be short of protein if you're getting enough calories and eating whole foods like grains, rice, beans, corn, potatoes.

    http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031200puprotein.htm

    The average North American gets well in excess of 4x as much protein as they need. That helps thing the bones and load the liver down dumping that protein out of the body.

    I applaud your doing this 100% (we're only 75%) but would highly suggest you learn about where the numbers for protein requirements come from - the safety factors involved. Yes there is a large variance amount people for how well we metabolize the various proteins .. but protein should not be an issue here.

    I recommend enjoying local corn and potatoes this time of year. Tempeh, like soy foods, is high fat and so not exactly a miracle food. I'd certainly avoid the chemically processed TVP/soy isolated proteins ... they 're not food but chemical lab creations. Consider them a condiment - not a centerpiece of the meal.

    I'm "whole food vegan" but not religous about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenna,
    If you are looking for local, organic black beans and red kidney beans, come out to Diversity Gardens (between St. Agatha and Petersburg) - we have some for sale. $3 for a 2lb bag.

    I have sensitivities to wheat so had to compromise the 100% to eat organic kamut and quinoa. They are higher in protein so I never worry about not getting enough. Since they are both sourced organically and the quinoa is also fair trade, I do not worry about compromising the 100 miles (the kamut is from Canada). It is really about being a conscious consumer. Better to eat these whole foods than processed soy foods.

    ReplyDelete