Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Greetings from Denmark!!!

First I'd like to say thank you to Praetzel for the link on my last blog concerning protein consumption. After being vegan for so many years I am still learning new things all the time. :)

Second, I did not travel to Denmark on some fly-by-night trip to try and scavenge unusual and exotic foods to spruce up this diet......laugh if you like but the climate and food production here couldn't look any closer to South Western Ontario's. I'm right at home :)

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) my budget is tight and I've had to give in to the homemade cooking I've been presented with for the most part. I won't go into too much detail as I'm sure it will make a few of you boil but should I whisper falafel, hummus,rice and avocado! Ok...no avocado but a girl can dream and oh how I dream.

Why am I blogging about breaking rules left, right and center? Well to bring your attention to some important information of course that I am highly confident you will be interested in as my fellow planet loving brothers and sisters. The reason for my Denmark embarkment is the attendance at the International Peoples College in Helsingor where I've been living on an Idealistic Island with some of the most passionate, beautiful and earth cherishing people from around the globe (if only I had known them before I would have asked them to bring their local delicacies so I could bring us all back something to gorge on). Here we have been living for the week sharing the challenges, injustices and guilts that climate change has laid on us all and have been working to develop a mandate of promises to present to the governments of the world in the upcoming Copenhagen Conference in December. As you have most likely come here for alternative reasons I will just leave you with a variety of thought provoking interesting and somewhat entertaining clips pertaining to the issues and activities we have been working on.

Bjorn Lomborg on where we should direct our energy and $ (AIDS? Global Warming?)
Helsinki Complaint Choir (we are creating one of our own related to the environment)

The following is a list of promises our immediate group has committed to which I hope will serve as some reflection and find some place in your own lives:

1. Through EDUCATION of ourselves and our communities we will bring AWARENESS to the issues the environment faces due to climate change.
2. We shall lead by EXAMPLE in our HOMES AND WORKPLACES by the use of green practices like recycling and saving energy.
3. We promise to CONSUME not more than we really NEED (e.g. eating less meat, using less water, sharing products – carpooling,...)
4. We will use and promote CLEAN TRANSPORT AND RENEWABLE ENERGY.
5. We will pressure our POLITICIANS to make climate change issues a top priority and integrate them into development policies (hunger, diseases, poverty, conflict, gender,...)
6. We will learn from NATURE and build upon INDIGENOUS knowledge and practices.
7. We will live HARMONIOUSLY with nature, RESPECT the Planet and never lose HOPE!

I am off to cycle through cobble streets lined with apple and apricot trees. Until we meet again much love and comforting wishes!

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment