Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 57.....really.....I could have sworn this has been going on for nearly a year. This may be my least enthusiastic post since the return to 'food with fresh dirt' on it after buffeting every night in Denmark has me feeling a little bitter and full of 'rationalizing' temptation. It's like breaking up with chickpeas all over again....only this time cold-turkey.

The first few days were probably somewhere around the 65% mark. Arriving home to my parents house where 'vegan' is a stretch (although my mom tries dearly) the closest to local was the reminisce of Denmark apple on the bottom of my shoe. Just as I was stocking up again we headed camping for the weekend and I probably spent most of the next 4 days at 75%-80% local. Now I'm back at home in Waterloo and just reunited with St.Jacob's yesterday and am getting back into the groove of the challenge.

For anyone who still has yet to make a camping trip this summer here are a few recipes for the fire. When you camp with me EVERYTHING eaten must be made over the fire.

Bannock (Translation: Bun ball on a stick)
Right up there with the butter tart when it comes to native Canadian cooking ;)
4 cups of flour
1 tbsp of sweetener (syrup/applesauce - not really necessary if don't have any)
1 tsp salt
3 cups of water
Mix all the dry ingredients and then slowly add water until a little more moist then regular dough. Find a clean stick, make a ball, shove it on and roast like a marshmallow until cooked through. They taste great with jelly if you have some on hand or make some yummy buns to go with your veggie pockets and add some thyme or basil.

Veggie Pocket
Take a piece of tin foil and mold it to your fist to make a small bowl
Drizzle a small amount of sunflower oil inside
Fill with your favourite local veggies
Add fresh dill, thyme and a pinch of salt
Place in coals of the fire

Pancakes
(you will need a grate and pan for this)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup soy milk (if you've discovered how to make your own) I just used water
1/4 cup applesauce
Pour oil in a pan, let heat up and then add batter.

Corn
Wrap in foil, throw it in the pit :)

As a final thought, while I too was pulling on a sweater this afternoon with the cold and damp weather we had today I couldn't help but feel a little stir down deep inside that Fall was in the air. Every change in season so far has only made this challenge more bountiful and I can't wait to adventure out into the crisp air and sharp smell of fall as I go skipping through apple fields and pumpkin patches.

Sweet corn and ripe peaches to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment